Skylet® is a high quality dip coating for the plastic range of lenses from ZEISS. Skylet® sun protection lenses have been specially designed for situations in which greater protection is required from UV light and glare, and special demands are made on contrast at the same time.
As such sports as gliding, skiing, cycling or motorcycling are often performed in difficult light conditions, high contrast vision is of special importance, especially from the safety viewpoint.
- The brightest Skylet® lens with 70% light reduction
- Cosmetically attractive, orange brown tint
- Particularly suitable for diffuse weather and hazy visibility, e. g. for skiing, gliding, hiking or water sports
- Optimum contrast due to special transmission curve
- Sun protection lens with 80% light reduction for all-round use
- Attractive brown tint
- Drivers, motorcyclists, surfers, hikers, yachting enthusiasts and cyclists will appreciate the contrast-enhancing effect in medium-to-strong sunshine
- Dark brown sun protection lens with 90% light reduction
- The lens to recommend for dazzling sunshine and glare, e. g. on glaciers, in high mountainous areas, on water and for flying
- Sun protection lenses with outstanding colour contrast in dazzling sunshine and in diffuse light
- Particularly suitable for all outdoor sports due to its high resistance to breakage and low weight
- Attractive colours
- Uniform light reduction irrespective of lens power
- 100% solar UV protection
On the basis of recent scientific advances and numerous tests, the R&D department at ZEISS has specially developed Skylet® sunglass lenses to meet the requirements of extreme light conditions. The special feature of these lenses lies in their markedly reduced transmission for the short-wave portion of visible radiation. The result: even in diffuse light, Skylet® sunglass lenses provide outstanding contrast.
Compared to traditional sunglass lenses, Skylet® sunglass lenses display higher transmission in the region in which the eye is particularly sensitive (V λ = 555 nm). With the same level of light reduction as other lenses, Skylet® therefore appears to be subjectively brighter to the wearer, but provides the same protection against glare.
Direct sunlight is always scattered, with the blue portion of light being subject to the greatest scatter. Our colour perception is influenced by this effect, as all colours contain a small portion of blue. This is why, for instance, we see the sky as blue.
Due to the blue portion, all chromatic zones are shifted towards blue. The closer the coordinates are to each other, the less contrast is seen. The result is glare and blurred outlines which are particularly annoying in extreme light conditions, e. g. in dazzling sunshine on water or in diffuse light on the ski-run.
The attenuation of the blue portion of the spectrum results in a marked enhancement in contrast, as the chromatic zones move away from blue and the distance separating them increases.
There is another reason why the attenuation of the blue region of the spectrum enhances contrast. Due to the relative myopia of the eye for short-wave radiation, blue light is bundled in front of the retina and superimposed on the other colours – vision becomes blurred.
Skylet® sunglass lenses reduce the blue portion to such an extent that the wearer enjoys clear vision.
The best way to experience the contrast-enhancing effect of Skylet® lenses is to wear them outdoors on a sunny day. A comparison with traditional sunglass lenses will also show the brightening effect.
- Skylet® fun
Recommended for medium ambient brightness and difficult light conditions, e. g. haze
- Skylet® road
Recommended for medium sunshine, e. g. summer weather in Central Europe
- Skylet® sport
Ideal for dazzling sunshine and strong glare, e. g. on glaciers, in high mountainous regions or for flying
- All plastic lenses with the refractive index 1.5, 1.6 and 1.67 are available as Skylet® road, fun and sport.
- The transmission curves of products with the refractive index 1.6 and 1.67 could differ from the lenses with the refractive index 1.5.
ZEISS is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of spectacle lenses, and is committed to delivering maximum precision and comfort. ZEISS designs and produces lenses, instruments and measurement systems, as well as retail concepts and technology services that continue to raise the bar in vision care.